Monday, November 19, 2012

19 November 2012 Letter (Szolnok)

Monday, 12 November
Today I learned that B, back in Szombathely, has referred ten other people to the Missionaries since I left, and Elder Nabrotzky's already begun to meet with eight of them. Also, my miracle today is that two women approached me today in the Spar. At first they thought I was a worker, but realized I wasn't when they saw my nametag. However, upon beginning a conversation with them, I learned that neither of them was familiar with the Church at all. While neither of us had a Book of Mormon to give them, we did receive both of their information and a way to contact one of their husbands as well. This miracle only happened because we were obedient and dressed in our proselyting clothes on P-Day. Otherwise they wouldn't have approached us.

Tuesday, 13 November
Today we had one dog, one reschedule, but several programs. We met with a young man. We spent most of the time getting to know him, and then began the Restoration. He says he is busy this Sunday, but promised to come to church the following Sunday. Second was with I. E was also there and we spent an hour and a half just discussing faith. He too said he'll be coming to church next week.  In the afternoon we met with J and E for the second time. Once again they were very kind; but, more importantly, they kept the commitment to pray every night, as well as promised to continue praying nightly in addition to a reading assignment. Last was Angolora. I actually spent 30 minutes going over and teaching the first three Articles of Faith in both English and Hungarian, and the entire class said they wish to continue next time.  My miracle of the day is the closeness of J and his family. They are all on really good terms, and they spent time together every weekend.

Wednesday, 14 November
Today was a great day. We caught a bus, and then a train at 6:00 this morning. On the two rides, I was carrying a wooden katana to give to Elder Jones. I got some strange looks. Once we arrived at the Mission Home, I went to the Leadership Meeting. There we mostly talked about the two main jobs of a leader: to teach truth, and to invite. Following the meeting (which was led by our Area President, President Richards), we had a 4-hour Zone Conference with President Richards. Three main topics in the teachings were the Spirit, Covenants, and our Purpose.  It was a very uplifting and inspiring conference. President Richards is very scriptural. Afterwards I had quite the “To Do” List to do. I was able to try to do all 17 things, but was not very successful. There were 8 things I was hoping to be able to receive and only 1 was I able to get. Dah!  After the meeting and tasks were over, we came back to Szolnok and planned and made calls. My miracle today is that a General Authority asked me to extend, go home July 4 rather than May 23 as planned, and help with President Monson's announcement in “hastening on the work.”

Thursday, 15 November
Two cancellations and a dog today. Only one program went through which was with B and Z. We taught them a two-part lesson on the prophet, and the Sabbath day. At the end, they both committed to come to church, pray, and read the scriptures on Sunday. My miracle today is that I've begun memorizing several quotes. While doing so I've found several thoughts of various sizes related to the particular word choice in them. Two examples are: “When God speaks and we obey, we will always be right,” and, “When we want God to speak with us, we search the scriptures.” Both of these I began memorizing incorrectly at first. In the first, I started saying, “When God commands.” However, by using “speak” rather than “command” we can learn that all of God's words are eternal and important, and it doesn't need to be a “Thus saith the LORD!” commandment for us to follow it. In the second quote we see that “reading” alone is not enough, but we must “search” the scriptures. There are several others, but I lack the time to write them.

Friday, 16 November
Just like yesterday we had two cancellations and one dog. So, we spent two hours streeting and three hours making calls. (The calls were much more successful). That's most of what our day was.

Saturday, 17 November
So, good news to you, Reader! Well, maybe... I have a fair number of things to write about today. First off, on Wednesday I wrote that I wanted to extend and take the late transfer, changing when I would be going home.  Well, it has been announced that there will be changes made to transfers, so currently I have no idea when I will be going home or finishing my time as a full-time missionary anymore. Between all our teaching records and finding sheets, we have nearly 800 different names and phone numbers. Out of these, Elder Hunnicutt and I have called over 300 of them, with nearly 80 of them us having called multiple times. Today we had two programs. First was with A. He prayed daily and read the Book of Mormon since we last met. We taught him about the Restoration and committed him to continue reading and praying daily. Also, we've asked him and Z to begin having Family Prayers each morning. It is hard to meet with A mostly because he has school, followed by 4-5 hours of swimming, and then studies each day.  Our second program was with Z. He read Ether 12 and had 3 verses which really stuck out to him. We had a good program and discussion focused entirely around the Atonement. He said he'll come to church next week. I must admit that I am impressed he met with us today as within an hour after the end of our lesson, he said he had a date and school dance to go to. (If he was a woman, he'd never make it in time).  In the afternoon and evening we made calls for 3-4 hours (out of the 800 #'s). Today during studies I resumed marking all the scriptures that stood out from back when I read the Standard Works in 40 days. Now that I'm done with the Ensign's and Liahona's I can focus on going through the Bible again. Lastly, my miracle today is since I know I don't record my testimony as much as I ought to, I want to write down a piece of it: Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, the Savior of the world, Redeemer of Mankind. He is the Living Son of the Living God who came down to earth to show us the way, atone for our sins and our weaknesses, to die for us, and save us from physical and spiritual death. He appeared to a 14 year-old Joseph Smith. He showed us how to live, and through His atoning grace He lifts us to follow that example, and lifts me personally that I might be here. And boy, am I ever glad and thankful of that. Anyone that searches for Christ can find Him. And anyone that searches to find His love and blessings in their lives will find many. I hope you will look for the happiness He has brought you and your loved ones. His love is sure.

Sunday, 18 November
I don't think today's entry will be as long as yesterday's. Today at church, we taught the priesthood lesson, and I was asked to play the piano and conduct (however, I only did one. I am not nearly talented enough to conduct music while playing). Out of our five investigators who had said they would come today, none showed up. Elder Hunnicutt and I planned for several hours. It looks like I'll have a lot to email tomorrow. My miracle today is that God is our loving Heavenly Father. I think that's a fairly good description: He's loving, and we can see and feel His perfect love for us in our daily lives; He's heavenly, divine, holy, and righteous; and He is our Father, literally being the father of our spirits and the creator of our bodies. Isn't He a great Dad?

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment