Monday, January 21, 2013

21 January 2013 Letter (Szolnok)

Monday, 14 January
I won’t repeat transfer stuffs from last week.  However, in the evening we went to Csaladi Est where we officially told the members there the news.  After pictures and a couple games of Uno, we left to go to meet with a member family. 

My miracle today is that I will be training another missionary again.  In the next transfer I will be especially responsible for something we are all accountable for: the influence we have on others.

Tuesday, 15 January
This morning we met with I.  We talked about Repentance.  I is struggling with the thought right now that repentance must always be genuinely sincere and that everyone else must know for sure that it is sincere.  We discussed what is required in repentance, how it is possible, and who it is between.  Yet he is still concerned about people trying to “trick” others into believing they have changed.  I asked him to think about who they are really trying to trick.  This subject might need a bit more time to truly click.  After I’s program we went to J’s.  We talked about Church leadership and watched President Monson’s talk from this last General Conference.  We left the DVD with him and challenged him to watch the rest of the Sunday Morning Session.  After, we returned home so Elder Hunnicutt could pack while I cleaned.  In the evening we had Angolora.  No one came to Profi or Kezdo, but I had eleven in Halado.  At the end we watched the Restoration Film and Elder Hunnicutt shared his testimony. 

My miracle today is Elder Hunnicutt.  He’s really shy and quiet, but caring and generous at the same time.  It was great to get to serve these last twelve weeks with him.

Wednesday, 16 January
Today was Transfer Day!  We had the trainer meeting at 11:00, followed by the “Sorting Hat” meeting around 12:30.  I received Elder McCurdy from Lindon, UT as my new companion.  Sister Suranyi received Sister Burdick who will also be coming to Szolnok with us.  There were a lot of missionaries at transfers today.  It’s strange to be one of the oldest among them.  There are only ten missionaries remaining who are older than I.  As it is often one of the happiest parts of transfers, I got to pick-up mail.  Well, once we started heading back to Szolnok I was the only one who didn't have luggage…good thing too.  The four of us had 8 big suitcases to carry.  (Well, six really big, one mid-sized, and one small bag, plus backpacks).  However I was able to lead everyone without any wrong turns or other problems.  We made it back to Szolnok, got the Sisters into their apartment, and later made it to the Branch House and Seminary safely.  The three other missionaries had the opportunity to meet 8 members in the Branch already.  In the evening, Elder McCurdy had time to unpack a little.  I called the sisters to check-up on them and learned that they accidently switched off their heater and will need to wait for the Landlord to come and turn it back on.  Oops! 

Well, my miracle today is that it’s happening.  I’m the last elder standing in Szolnok and need to help guide three missionaries with two more brand-new missionaries on the way.

Thursday, 17 January
This morning we had studies for four hours thanks to the 12 Week Program which we have begun.  We took an hour or two to discuss all of our investigators.  We then met with the Sisters where for two hours straight I poured information onto the three other missionaries: giving the Sisters the records we received back, explaining all their investigators, and all the inactives; listed several ideas for this transfer; showed them various locations on the map; and discussed Angolora, the high school, and goals.  Once we finally finished, we went to Elder McCurdy’s and Sister Burdick’s first Pekseg.  Then went to get Bus ID’s and Passes.  Today when I called Z I learned it is his birthday and set-up a program for tomorrow.  The stop-smoking program still isn’t going well.  In the evening, Elder McCurdy and I went streeting.  He stopped a third of the people we met.  He is a pretty good speaker and is not afraid to put himself out there and try. 

My miracle today is my second mission son, Elder Adam Michael McCurdy.  Elder McCurdy is from neighboring Lindon, and attended PGHS, being two years behind me.  We were on the same bus route, and had a couple of the same teachers and class mates.  After graduating, he attended BYU for one year.  He enjoys basketball and lacrosse, and is considering a major in Business.  He is awesome, funny, and also knows Elder Alldredge and many people from my home ward.  I look forward to continuing to train him.  I want to do this right and be a great trainer.

Friday, 18 January
This morning we went to Kecskemet for District Meeting.  I had the opportunity to meet Sister Behunin and Elder Shuck.  We all brought family pictures to try to get to better know each other.  During the training part I gave a training titled “The Lost,” comparing the three parables in Luke 15 to missionary work.  At the end of the meeting we established two goals to invite at least three different members to programs each week and to all get SYL Super Standard the entire transfer.   Soon after returning to Szolnok, we left to Besenyszog to meet with B and Z.  All four of us went.  It was our first chance to take our new missionaries to a Falu.  Now they know what most of Hungary is like.  B and Z both said they will be at church on Sunday.  When we made it back to Szolnok again, we went to a meeting with the Branch Presidency.  With them we re-affirmed many things I had told the Sisters.  We also discussed the Branch plan and goals and ended by offering our service in whatever way they need most.  Lastly, we made calls tonight.  One of our investigator’s wife answered, and upon learning who we are, and that her husband had been meeting and speaking with us, said she would never allow anything to do with us, and asked us never to call again, then hung up.  Even after last week, our programs are continuing to decrease. 

My miracle today is that I realized that this is the second time that I’ve been the last man standing.  In Szombathely I was also the one that stayed to help Elders Nabrotzky, Jones, and Masters.  I guess either I did a good job the first time, or, I still had things I needed to learn.  I’m not sure which.
Saturday, 19 January
One dog today.  I woke up this morning with a very runny nose.  We had full studies in the morning.  We then gathered up a bunch of addresses from records that didn’t have phone numbers, organized them, and went to begin looking them up.  Today we found three people who said they’re interested in meeting.  Two said they’ll come to church tomorrow, and the third let us in for an hour; said we can come back, and will come to church next week.  In the evening we finished with calls. 

Today’s miracle is that six people are supposed to come to church.
Sunday, 20 January
We had our regular meetings today.  A and Z both came to church.  At church I also had the opportunity to meet the senior couple that will be moving-in in a week and a half, the Herd’s.  After church we had choir.  Sister Herd took over the piano so we could double our number of male singers.  During the meetings today, Elder McCurdy was as confused as I was my first week in the country.  I’m proud to write that he managed to stay awake for all of it.  My nose has only gotten worse and is now a non-stop waterfall.  All of today I have not yet made it over 23 minutes without using a tissue.  Bah!  I can’t imagine it getting any worse tomorrow.  I can’t wait to have a normal nose again and be able to live normally again. 

My miracle is that for the past month (and hopefully in future months), I have been managing to listen to 2-3 sessions of General Conference a week.

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment