Monday, November 14, 2011

14 November 2011 Letter (Nyiregyhaza)

It's starting to get colder here.  This morning we woke up to frost on the ground, but still no snow thankfully.  I'm going to jump into the blog posts.  I don't have too long of posts this week, nor too long of letter responses.

Monday, 7 November
I feel great!  Today was a good P-Day.  It was relaxed, but nice and things still got done.  My companion and I cleaned our apartment, got more supplies, printed off some pictures at Media Market, and stopped by the Post Office where I found how I'll be sending Christmas packages home.

Tuesday, 8 November
I guess pretty much every day in Hungary is an adventure, although, today we didn't get much work done because of it.  We borrowed the other Elders' bikes to travel to our program with X, but within the first five minutes, my companion collided with a Gypsy on a bike.  Both bikes had some minor damages, but weren't bad; however, the man was a drama queen and was trying to get money out of my companion for about any excuse he could come up with.  We ended up losing over and hour and a half because of the whole affair.  Luckily, X was okay having the lesson an hour later, and we talked about the Restoration, watched the 20 minute Restoration video, gave her a Book of Mormon, and challenged her to read it.  In the evening we went to meet with the Ks, but they had forgotten and weren't there.  The worst part was that the returning train didn't come until over an hour later, so we lost another 2½ hours on top of the 1½ from the biking incident.  I guess in a way it's a miracle that I wasn't the one that (and that I haven't yet) had a biking accident.  Something else, I learned I'm much, much better at biking when I have a real reason to ride.

Wednesday, 9 November
This morning we began splits.  I'm currently with Elder W.  We had two programs scheduled, but both fell through (sadly, they both were with members too).  We spent a lot of time at the internet cafe, and I made a fair amount of progress on the Facebook profile.  For a miracle today, I would like to write that we had two people stop and show real interest while we were tabling, the most we've had in several weeks.  Hopefully we actually hear from either of them again.  Lastly, we finished our evening by eating palacsintas and talking about fencing.  It's been quite some time since I last fenced and will prove interesting after my mission.

Thursday, 10 November
I liked today.  We all left at 7:00 in the morning to go to E's High School.  There we taught English for 2 1/2 hours, and did a good enough job to be invited back in the future.  I continued my splits with Elder W until the afternoon, and then in the evening we all went to Angolora.  Today was the last Angolora for the next 3 weeks, but 3 good things happened: four people in my class showed interest in meeting privately, Z returned, and I met a group that had found out about the class via Facebook.  (The last two are both my miracles).  The last two things today are that the Zone Leaders are staying with us for the District Meeting and M's baptismal interview tomorrow.  Today Elder W dropped M as an investigator to give her some time to think about baptism.  I talked to her at Angolora and she was really depressed, but said she was still coming to church this weekend to hear me and my companion speak.  Hopefully things work out with her.

Friday, 11 November
What a magical day today.  There are only two times a century when there are twelve of the same digit in a row between the date and time, and they both happened today.  Some people say you are supposed to make a wish at 11:11:11, so I guess that today must've been a super wish at 11/11/11-11:11:11, especially since it's 36,160 times as rare!  I'd love for my wish to come true.  (The rarity and speciality of today was my miracle).  Today we spent most the day with our Zone Leaders.  We held a District Meeting, followed by M's baptismal interview.  She seems to have a slight struggle with the Word of Wisdom, but she passed!  We went tabling and streeting with Elder D, and then had Out-Reach.  My talk for Sunday is mostly done, but one page still needs to be translated.

Saturday, 12 November
Today had three main things happen.  We taught D for the first time today.  The lesson went well and he said that he's interested in hearing more about the gospel.  We had a big Out-Reach Program today that went from 3:00pm – 8:00pm.  The first two hours consisted of a talent show, followed by a short ping-pong tournament, then V spent two hours teaching dance lessons, and we ended with an hour of food and mingling.  I enjoyed it, but wish that any of our investigators would've shown up.  We had about 20 people there, but 9 were missionaries, and the rest were members.  Last of all, I finished my miraculous talk.

Sunday, 13 November
My talk has been given. Yippee!  I really didn't feel any stress about giving it.  Writing it was the harder part for me.  I'm glad to write that it lasted the full 15 minutes.  The sad part about church was that M didn't show up.  Hopefully dropping her doesn't backfire on the other companionship.  This afternoon I went on splits with Elder F to visit H.  For all that I heard about her, she was pretty lively, and when she talked she was very, very vivid.  I really enjoyed taking the sacrament to her.  This evening we went tabling and the only people we talked to during the two hours were a group of nine 18-23 year old boys. It was strange, but we talked to them about the gospel for over half an hour.  My miracle today is that after Sacrament Meeting I got many congratulations, and when E congratulated me, she shook my hand.  Sounds silly, I know, but E rarely, rarely shakes hands with missionaries.

Lastly, my calling as pianist disappeared as quickly as it came.  I may still practice little bits and pieces from time to time, but I won't be playing during church any more.

That's all I can think of this week.  I hope you're all doing well.  Talk to you all again next week.

Szeretettel,

Shipp Elder

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment