Monday, October 10, 2011

10 October 2011 Letter (Nyiregyhaza)

It's P-Day again, and the last one during this transfer.  There have been a lot of calls going back and forth between companionships to see who is going where.  My companion and I are staying together.  One of the Elders in the other companionship, however, is leaving.  The other Elder is staying and is actually getting a Greenie, so I'll get to serve with one of my Kicsi!

Monday, 3 October
Today was a fun P-Day.  Started off with shopping and emails and used some of the new MSF =D.  Then, this afternoon we went with the other Elders and one of the members to the zoo.  The zoo here is pretty big and has a fun variety of animals.  There was a baby otter that was really cute.  The strangest were the seagulls, and they had a small pen with a dog house in the middle, in which laid the saddest basset hound I've ever seen.  We all felt so bad for it.  Near the end we fed some llamas and their tongues tickled.  Despite moving through it fairly fast, we didn't have enough time to quite make it through everything, it was quite a big zoo.  I'm not sure if I'll ever get the opportunity to return and go through the last parts.  Still, it was very enjoyable and I got to take a lot of pictures. 
After spending a couple hours at the zoo we went to a member’s house for dinner and a spiritual thought.  As always, her food was amazing.  She stuffed us with a four whole courses, and I somehow managed to eat two plates of each. 
Lastly, the miracle of the day was looking online and finding that six new temples were announced.  Although, I must admit, the variety and design of the few of God's many creations we saw at the zoo helped put into perspective how amazing and creative Heavenly Father is, which is another miracle.

Tuesday, 4 October
My companion and I taught three lessons.  We were also fed both lunch and dinner.  Other than that, not too much happened.  We tabled for a couple hours in the morning, had a program with an investigator who never came, and swung by another’s to try to re-establish contact but he still wasn't there.  Luckily, today we finally managed to create a good opportunity to give one a Book of Mormon.

Wednesday, 5 October
Today was a unique and fairly hard day.  We waited for our first two lessons, but no one showed up.  We had three other lessons, one on Fasting, a 15 minute one with a Neni who we gave a Book of Mormon to, and who said she'd like to meet again next week, and a 2 1/2 hour lesson with the last.  This last one is American, but has lived in Hungary for the past 6 1/2 years. 

Thursday, 6 October
Time is still continuing to be distorted.  Today I spent some time setting goals for myself during the next couple weeks.  Very few were actually language goals.  We taught 3 lessons today.  We met with a woman for 15 minutes to discuss, talk about, and give her a Book of Mormon.  In the evening I taught my biggest Angolora class yet, with nine of us taking part in the discussions. 
My miracle is tied into the spiritual thought I shared.  We are all sons and daughters of God.  We each have limitless potential, and Heavenly Father has an infinite love to help us reach that potential.  In the words of President Uchtdorf, "knowing all that changes everything.  It changes us, and it can change the world."
Friday, 7 October
Today we got dogged again, and our only lesson was on obedience.  Tabling has really died out, so we went back to streeting today.  While it wasn't too successful, we did get one phone number and that is my small miracle today.  Last of all, it started raining this evening, and neither of us had jackets, so we got soaked.  Although, now that it's over, and I'm dry again, it just provides another memory that I'll have to smile about.

Saturday, 8 October
Today was a good day.  We taught two lessons, and both lessons went better than usual.  We knew more of what to expect with the first, and planned accordingly, and with the second we reviewed the entire fourth lesson, which I'm very glad to write, she understood, remembered, and follows.  This week we had more lessons fall through than show up (which actually is true for our week overall as well), but we still taught more than the past 2-3 weeks, so while we suffered greater rejection, we also had greater success this week.  Tomorrow we are going to watch the first two sessions of General Conference in Hungarian.  I guess I'll have to see how much, or possibly, how little, I actually understand. 
My miracle is that we were able to plan better and more closely follow our teaching plans than usual.

Sunday, 9 October
Today our Branch watched General Conference.  While I was able to figure out and understand the topics of nearly every talk, that's about all I was able to understand.  Sadly, only about 10 members came today to watch the sessions.  Miraculously, I stayed awake and focused all four hours, which is usually hard for me, even when it is in English and I could understand it.  After General Conference, my companion and I went tracting for a couple hours but didn't get a single find.


Well, that's about it.  I just have some quick concluding remarks.

I'm at the end of my first transfer and nearly 1/6 of the way done with my mission, which is crazy and hard to believe.  It feels like I've done so little out here, but I know that while this feels like it's way too fast, I still have the vast majority of my mission ahead of me.  Reflecting on this transfer makes me really appreciate our one true investigator, and makes me glad to teach her.  She's still the only one we have on a Baptism Date, but it's so exciting to think about her baptism.
Here's a good, final quote from the scriptures:
"Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live the gospel." - 1 Corinthians 9:14

That's all for this week,
I love you all!
Szeretettel,
Shipp Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment